September 28, 2010

Temperature After One Month

In some ways this past week of school was little different than my first week. I still have no one I can call a friend. I still eat most of my lunches by myself... Then why am I so much happier?

Yes, I've adjusted. I've got my morning routine down to clockwork. The day doesn't exhaust me quite as it used to. I know there are enough hours in the day to get everything done and where to find the keys. I set my alarm. I always remember my books.

But something has changed: my expectations.

College hasn't given me fun- or friends- or amazing books. But it has given me a mission field.

When I walk onto campus I am ever-more conscious of my living testimony for Christ- that my every word and action affects how people see me- and ultimately the God I serve. College is teaching me to be less self-centered- to look for opportunities to bless people and share the gospel. To give life, not live life. College is acting as a mirror- showing me how easily I get caught up in my's own desires and needs: How often I am selfish, caring more about what people think of me then the Truth they need. How often I am prideful, thinking more of who I am than all that God has done for me.

When I say I am learning, I mean just that- it's a process, I'm being taught- I haven't learned it yet.

I am ever more grateful that God has me where he does. Heaven knows it wasn't my idea. But I am learning more where I am than I would have anywhere else. God is deepening my compassion and understanding. He is giving me boldness and love. 

Something's heating up. May this spark become a fire for God.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, amen! :D

    "it's a process, I'm being taught- I haven't learned it yet." Mm, I'm glad you said this, because, I needed reminding, that just because God's been bringing this to my attention, teaching me it, it doesn't mean I've mastered the lesson. Or anything close. Hm. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Hayley. :-) I feel God bringing it to my attention- I'm noticing, I'm trying to act on it... but so many times I fail to notice or fail to act.

    ReplyDelete